Catholic Review wins 73 awards from professional journalism organizations for its work in 2021
PORTLAND, Ore. — With 22 awards at the 2022 Catholic Media Conference on July 7, Catholic Review ended the year with 73 awards from three professional organizations — the Catholic Media Association, the Associated Church Press and the Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Association. The total is the second highest in at least the past 13 years.
Archbishop William E. Lori, editor of the Catholic Review, staff members and independent contributors received awards.
The Catholic Media Association includes Catholic publications and broadcasters from the United States and Canada. Awards presented at the Catholic Media Conference included two for overall individual excellence, a top award for designer of the year to Sara Travlos, former senior graphic designer, and an honorable mention for podcaster of the year to George Matysek Jr., editor, for “Catholic Review Radio” episodes.
The Catholic Media Conference was held in person for the first time since 2019, with a hybrid format that allowed members to attend in Portland or participate via Zoom video conferencing.
MDDC honors include being named Large Non-Daily News Organization of the Year for the fourth consecutive year and the fifth time since 2013. which recognize the best work in a category across all broadcast segments. MDDC membership primarily includes lay publications from the region. Other publications in the major non-daily division include the Bay Journal, Laurel Leader, Aegis, and Towson Times.
The eight CPA Awards include three Achievement Awards, First Place Honour. The Associated Church Press includes Christian editors from many denominations, including some Catholic organizations like Catholic Review Media.
Christopher Gunty, Associate Publisher and Editor-in-Chief of Catholic Review Media, said: “We are delighted and honored to once again be recognized as News Organization of the Year by the MDDC and all the other awards the team has received.
“It is a tribute to the quality of writing, photography, video and radio programming that our readers, viewers and listeners rely on to cover the Catholic Church and the faithful of Maryland on various platforms. media,” he said.
Gunty also received a second place for Religious Leader Personality Profile for an article about Cardinal Wilton D. Gregory of Washington, DC, which was written for St. Anthony Messenger magazine.
Below is a list of the prices of each association.
Associated Church Press, awarded by videoconference on May 12 – the award of excellence is the first place, the award of merit is the second and the honorable mention is the third:
- Best in Class – Blog: Excellence Award – Open Window Column – Rita Buettner
- Best in Class – Blog: Honorable mention – Open Window Column – Rita Buettner
- Best in Class – Social Media Presence: Honorable mention – Facebook presence – Catholic Review Staff
- Local Reports – Short Format: Excellence Award – Beauty Born from Pain – George P. Matysek Jr.
- Local Reports – Short Format: Honorable Mention – Final Rest – Mary K. Tilghman
- Scientific writing for the world of faith – Short format: Merit Award – Webb and Marvel – Christopher Gunty
- Illustration, with article or cutting line: Honorable Mention – On the road with Joseph – Sara Travlos
- Series of photos or essay (printed media): Excellence Award – The Smiles Are Back – Kevin J. Parks
- Educational / informative / advocacy video: Honorable Mention – The Poetry of Edgar Allan Poe –Catherine Subrizi
Catholic Media Association, awarded July 7 in Portland. The competition awards first, second and third place prizes and honorable mentions.
- Individual Excellence – Graphic Artist/Designer of the Year: First place – Sara Travlos
- Individual Excellence – Podcaster of the Year: Honorable Mention – Episodes of Catholic Review Radio – George Matysek Jr.
- Best Website – Diocesan: First place – archbalt.org – George Matysek Jr., Gerry Jackson and staff
- Best website – magazine or newsletter: Honorable Mention – catholicreview.org – George P. Matysek Jr. and staff
- Best Diocesan Directory: First place – Archdiocese of Baltimore Catholic Yearbook 2022 – Christopher Gunty and Sara Travlos
- Best Diocesan Pastoral Message – Letter: Third place – “Brilliantly Visible Light 2.0” – Bishop William E. Lori; design by Timothy Murphy
- Best Interview – Audio: First place – Catholic Review Radio – Scharbach – George Matysek Jr.
- Best Interview – Audio: Third place – Catholic Review Radio – Sister Bernadette Reis – Christophe Gunty
- Best episcopal column in a diocesan magazine: First place – Charity in Truth – Archbishop William E. Lori
- Better coverage – Immigration: Honorable Mention – Priscila González de Doran, Christopher Gunty
- Best Coverage – Pandemic: Third place – Christopher Gunty, Paul McMullen, George P. Matysek Jr., Kevin J. Parks
- Best Coverage – Racial Inequalities: Honorable Mention – Priscila González de Doran, George Matysek Jr., Kevin J. Parks, Kyle Taylor
- Best title and introduction: The second place – Lab Assistants – Kevin J. Parks
- Best Reporting on Social Justice Issues – Dignity and Workers’ Rights: First place – Food for Life – Paul McMullen
- Best Multiple Image Package – Feature: Honorable mention – Beauty born out of pain – Kevin J. Parks
- Best Story and Photo Package by an Individual: Third place – Lab Assistants – Kevin J. Parks
- Best Cinematography – Panoramic, Still Life or Weather: First place – Quiet Man – Kevin J. Parks
- Best Cinematography – Panoramic, Still Life or Weather: Honorable Mention – What is in a life? -George Matysek Jr.
Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Association, awarded May 10-13 via videoconference. The MDDC awards first and second place awards and Best Show for each category, which recognizes the best work across all broadcast divisions.
- News organization of the year
- Overall Website Excellence: First place – www.catholicreview.org – George P. Matysek Jr. and his staff
- Page 1 Design: First place – Food for Life – Sara Travlos, Kevin J. Parks
- Page 1 Design: The second place – Bless this house – Sara Travlos
- Design of the feature page: First place – Beauty Resurrected – Sara Travlos, Kevin J. Parks
- Design of the feature page: The second place – A Dog’s Purpose – Kevin J. Parks, Gabriella O’Brien
- Design of the news page: First place – The Legacy of Mother Lange – Kevin J. Parks, Sara Travlos
- Design of sports pages: First place and Best of Show – Play ball – Sara Travlos
- Informative news-oriented graphics: First place – In numbers – Sara Travlos
- News-oriented art or illustrations: First place and Best of Show – On the road with Joseph – Sara Travlos
- Online blog comment: First place – President Biden’s top priority must be healing – Christopher Gunty
- General News: The second place – Holy Week Chrism Mass helps return to “normal” – Christopher Gunty
- Continuous coverage: The second place – Immigration – Priscila González de Doran, Christopher Gunty
- Wild Card: Coronavirus in Communities: First place and Best of Show – The Catholic Community Responds to the Pandemic – Christopher Gunty, Paul McMullen, George P. Matysek Jr., Kevin J. Parks
- Medical/scientific reports: First place – Johns Hopkins, Archdiocesan Schools Partner for COVID-19 Prevention – Tim Swift
- Education Reports: First place – Global Perspective: John Carroll’s International Program Opens a Two-Way Street in Outreach – Paul McMullen
- Education Reports: The second place – Mother Lange opens – Kevin J. Parks, Archbishop William E. Lori, Christopher Gunty
- Arts/Entertainment Reports: First place – Beauty Resurrected – Matthew Liptak
- Arts/Entertainment Reports: The second place – From slave to portrait painter – George P. Matysek Jr.
- Religious reports: First place – Beauty Born from Pain – George P. Matysek Jr.
- Editorial: First place – Lives more than matter – Christopher Gunty
- Local Chronicle: Critical Thinking: First place – Long rugged path of non-violence – Bishop William E. Lori
- Local Chronicle: Critical Thinking: The second place – Protect yourself, love others – Christopher Gunty
- Local chronicle: Characteristic or humor: First place – God gives us what we need – Rita Buettner
- Local chronicle: Characteristic or humor: The second place – The Gift of Time – George P. Matysek Jr.
- Report: Profile: First place and Best of Show – Beauty Born from Pain – George P. Matysek Jr.
- Reportage: Non-profile: First place – A Dog’s Purpose – Kevin J. Parks
- Series: First place – Retired Priests: Celebrating Three Combined Centuries of Ministry – Staff
- Big title: The second place – Lab Assistants – Kevin J. Parks
- Sports history: First place – Play ball – Paul McMullen
- Sports report: First place – High school athletic directors calm coaches, players and parents during pandemic layoffs – Paul McMullen
- Feature photo: The second place – December cover – Kevin J. Parks
- General news video: First place and Best of Show – Glory Restored: Local Knights of Columbus Renovates Historic African-American Cemetery – Kevin J. Parks
- Features video: First place and Best of Show – Glory Restored: Local Knights of Columbus Renovates Historic African-American Cemetery – Kevin J. Parks
- Special section focusing on news: First place – Basilica of the Assumption 200th anniversary – Staff
- Special section focusing on news: The second place – Catholic Schools Week – Staff
Copyright © 2022 Catholic Review Media